Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Healthy Nut Butter Cups


If you're new to my blog, you might not know how crazy I am about healthy food! I'm quite a nutrition nerd and have really been getting into superfoods as well as experimenting with different ways of eating. Recently because of various digestive problems, sleep issues, and lack of focus, our Doctor advised us to try cutting some different things out of our regular diet. I was already doing this on and off over the last year, but now we are taking a more agressive approach. No dairy, no gluten and no preservatives, dyes or anything artificial. I personally don't mind this new way of eating too much since I had already somewhat adapted to it, however, this past Holiday weekend was our first real challenge. For my Son's Easter basket, we filled it with candies that had no dyes or artificial ingredients. Chocolate was a major issue as far as stores around here, so I decided to make my little man his very own chocolate treats! They turned out amazing and way better than anything we could have bought in my opinion ;) So here is my recipe, sorry for not including a pic, they aren't that pretty!!



Christy's Healthy PB Cups

* Mini or Large Muffin Tin
* Non-stick Muffin Liners (parchment is best)
* 1/2 Cup PB, or you could use any other Nut Butter
* 2-3 TB Organic Powdered Sugar, to taste
* 1/2 - 3/4 cup D-Free Choc Chips (reg would work fine here too), melted in a double boiler
* 1 banana


I just created this recipe myself, so depending on the size of your cups and how much choc or peanut butter you like, you may need more or less of the PB/Choc ratio. I started by melting my chocolate. Carefully melt the chocolate, stirring constantly and be careful not to burn. When the chocolate is melted, set aside for a moment and line your muffin tin. After each liner is in, drop a enough melted chocolate into each to line the bottom, you want to make sure there's enough in the bottom, but not so much that it's super thick. When you're finished, place the entire pan in the freezer. Mix up your PB or Nut butter of choice in another bowl with the Powdered Sugar to taste. Some Nut Butters may need more or less sugar. My Fav Almond Butter (Justin's Maple Almond) probably wouldn't need any additional sugar. It really all depends on your preference and the consistency that you prefer. Set the bowl aside when you're done mixing. Now slice your banana into thin slices. Retrieve your pan from the freezer and place the banana slices into each cup in a thin layer. Next spoon your Nut Butter mixture on top, spreading around to cover the bananas. Finish each cup off with a chocolate top. They do not need to be perfect! After you're finished, place the tin back in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Eat while frozen or enjoy slightly thawed, keeping them in the fridge. Enjoy!!!!


XOXO