Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fall is here!

Ok.... I know Fall hasn't "technically" started, but to me it starts the 1st day of school! lol. I have been dreaming of this day all summer and even though it's raining, it's still cool and starting to feel a little like Fall. Today was my Son's 1st day of Second grade! I can't believe how big he is getting and what a little man he has become. Time goes by so fast!!! We had a very low-key holiday weekend. Shopping, wrapping up some loose ends for back to school, my husbands fantasy football draft, dinner with neighbors and just spending time together as a family. It was a really nice end to summer break! I also cooked up some amazing pumpkin bread last night to send in my little guys lunch today. It also makes for a great breakfast!

 Easy Pumpkin Bread

Adapted from Bethenny's Boo Boo Banana Bread Recipe
*recipe is doubled to make a large amount

~ 2 cups flour (I use oat flour, whole oats run through the food processor)
~ 2 eggs
~ 1 can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
~  1 cup raw sugar
~ 1 1/2 TB butter (I used Earth balance)
~ 1 TB Vanilla Extract
~ 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
~ 1 Tsp Baking Soda
~ 1/2 Tsp Salt
~ 1-2 TB Cinnamon (more or less depending on what you like, I like a lot!!!)
~ A couple dashes of Pumpkin Pie Spice if you have it
~ Raisins and/or nuts are optional

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. I like to put all the dry ingredients in 1 bowl and whisk them. Wet in another, whisked as well. Then combine. I use Unrefined Coconut Oil to grease my pan. I don't need parchment this way, but you can cut a piece or parchment to fit your 8x8 pan or larger loaf pan.

2. Pour batter into the pan of your choice with parchment (I recommend if you don't use coconut oil). Cover your pan loosely with foil or a glass lid if using corningware etc.

3. Bake for 30 minutes covered. Remove cover and bake for an additional 20-30min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean. Cool completely, slice and serve. 

*If you don't want to use eggs, you can also substitute 1/3-1/2C apple sauce 1/3-1/2C yogurt. Your cooking time may vary depending on the texture of the batter, pan used and your oven.

Enjoy!!!!