Tuesday, May 19, 2015

ProPlenish Marine Collagen - A Review


Hi there! I have a review on an amazing product for you today! I recently received a package all the way from Australia and was so excited for a couple reasons - 1) who doesn't love getting mail from Australia, and 2) Collagen has some pretty amazing benefits as a supplement and I've been looking high and low for a great go-to brand! This marine collagen supplement did not disappoint! Keep reading to find out more....

{ About ProPlenish }

The ProPlenish team is comprised of scientists, researchers, nutritionists and collagen experts. They understand and have learnt the delicacy of the human body – dedicating research to testing, observing and optimising health and well-being, through the help of natural beauty enhancing supplements. Inside and out, they know what works. Based in Melbourne, they are a highly innovative Australian brand that has been recognized as such – becoming one of the fastest growing health food supplement and beauty companies in the world.

{ What exactly is Marine Collagen? }

Collagen is naturally occurring and the most abundant protein in the body. It is essential for maintaining skin, hair and nails, but in a cruel trick nature plays, we produce less as we get older. That’s right – from our 20s onwards, natural collagen production slows down, becoming more pronounced through our 50s and 60s. Sourced using the world’s purest form of collagen, ProPlenish edible Marine Collagen is a tasteless, odourless, easily dissolving supplement that turns clear in seconds. It restores your body with the nutrients it needs for a glowing complexion. And a younger looking you. No injecting. No nips or tucks. Just the radiant, youthful appearance you remember seeing in the mirror.

{ Why Do I Need it? }

Including collagen in your daily diet helps;
Hair - strengthens hair at the root by restoring collagen in the hair follicle to aid hair growth, thickness, texture and body
Skin - rejuvenates, supports and strengthens, aids in skin elasticity, smooths fine lines, tightens and evens out skin tone
Hydration and resilience - increases the skins ability to retain moisture for overall smoothness and plumping of the skin
Nails - helps to improve and strengthen splitting, weak, flaking nails
Muscles - assists with lean muscle gain and tone, training and exercise recovery.
Learn more about collagen research here!

{ My Collagen Experience - The Backstory }

 So let me tell you a little about my backstory previous to trying ProPlenish and why I was so excited to give this supplement a try! About a year ago I had read about all the amazing benefits of adding collagen to the diet. I have struggled with many digestive issues, as well as skin issues in the past, which I still struggle with from time to time. I'm gluten-free and also dairy-free about 90% of the time. This cut out most of my digestive and gut issues, but I do still fight inflammation quite a bit. I had read somewhere that collagen can really help repair the gut, amongst all the other benefits! A little extra protein, great hair & nails, glowing skin, happy insides - I'm in! So my quest to try out a couple different brands & types started. I first tried animal-derived and was so excited when my green bin of miracle powder came in the mail! I immediately tried it - and it was everything it promised on the package, but I had a horrible itching in my throat. 
I thought maybe it was just a reaction to trying the collagen for the first time. So I tried it again and again. Still itchy. I immediately sent it back and ordered a different brand that many others seemed to love. I ripped open the package and dissolved a serving in a cup of tea and to my horror, the same exact thing happened. After reading the reviews it seems that this is a common thing with many people. Some seem to have a mild allergy to animal-derived collagen and it looked like I was one of them. I was really upset. I could not longer take the supplement that seemed to be doing good things for me due to the fact that I was worried it would cause me more inflammation. Not to mention the itch in my mouth/throat! My quest for a collagen supplement ended there.


{ My Thoughts on ProPlenish }


I came across Proplenish and was not disappointed! The company generously sent me several sachets of the Original & Citrus flavor. They also sent me a 180g box of the Original loose powder. I popped the sachets in my bag to bring to work and left the box at home. The first one I tried was the lemon flavor in my daily morning tea at the office. So let me start by saying that ProPlenish states that the powder is tasteless. And they are absolutely right, I didn't really taste anything. There definitely wasn't a "marine" fishy taste at all. There is a slight something of some sort, I can't quite put my finger on. Almost a slight gelatin taste or scent. I can't really tell, but it's not unpleasant!  And this is very common in all tasteless collagens, which I've come across this in the past. This was one of the best I've tried and whatever I was detecting was certainly not enough that it would keep me from taking the supplement. I really liked the lemon flavor a lot! And you also have to keep in mind that this first test was in hot herbal tea (which the lemon actually complimented quite nicely!). My next try was the original in a smoothie. Eating the supplement this way I was not able to detect any of the gelatin-like taste or scent whatsoever. This is the way I would probably choose to consume it on the regular, but as I said, the very mild scent I detected in my tea was not enough for me to avoid that option altogether. And most important, no itchy throat or mouth! So if you have struggled with that mild allergy to say, bovine collagen, you may want to give this one a try!

Overall I was very happy with this supplement! I haven't been taking it long enough to notice a huge different in my skin, hair or nails. But I will tell you that my digestive system feels amazing! I will absolutely be ordering this supplement when I'm out and would highly recommend it over anything else I've tried. ProPlenish offers several packages and options for pricing and also seem to offer promotions if you sign up for the newsletter as well! 
Make sure to check out the ProPlenish website and also look for them on Facebook, TwitterInstagram! I'll make sure to check back in a month to give you my overall 30 day feedback! Here's to glowing skin & a happy Gut!! =)


Christy
xoxo

DISCLAIMER: I was not compensated for the above review financially in any way. I was, however, provided product for sample purposes to review as stated. This did not influence my review in any way. All opinions are my own.